Candida Albicans (Latin for white fungus) is a member of the yeast family. Given the right conditions, yeast is capable of voluminous growth e.g. yeast in bread. Candida is yeast that lives in all of us. It is mainly present in the digestive tract and usually does not cause us any problems. Also present in the digestive tract are good bacteria called Lactobacillus acidophilus (known as the ‘gut flora’) which helps the breakdown of food stuffs. The gut flora creates the right environment for the food to be utilised.
When the lactobacillus acidophilus becomes depleted it allows the yeast to ferment and grow. It can then permeate the gut wall and become systemic (travel to any site in the body). The growth of the yeast Candida Albicans can lead to a wide variety of mental, emotional or physical disorders e.g.
• Bowel Dysfunction (constipation, diarrhoea, pain, spasms, excess wind, urgency etc.)
• Indigistion (inc acid reflux, burning, bad breath)
• Weight gain (despite dieting regimes)
• Thrush vaginal, oral, cystitis, prostatitis, vaginitis and athletes foot
• Food and alcohol cravings
• Hormone imbalance, irregular periods, painful periods, fluid retention
• Loss of libido
• Menopausal syndrome
• Mood swings, anxiety, depression
• Pre menstrual food cravings e.g. sugar, bread, chocolate etc
• Fatigue/lack of energy
• Poor memory & concentration (foggy brain, forgetfulness)
• Sinus re-current ear nose throat infections
• Immune system low (recurrent infections)
• Hay fever and other allergic responses
• Skin conditions (acne, eczema, rashes, hives etc)
• Excess sweating
• Body temperature imbalance (either too hot or too cold)
• Behavioural problems e.g. hyperactivity, ADHA
• Muscle aches and joint pain
At the Essex Annandale Allergy Clinic, we have developed, over a number of years, our own unique Candida Treatment Regime. This has been based on study/research and clinical experience.
Our multi faceted approach is individualised. It usually involves a 3 month programme which includes, food tolerance testing, homoeopathic detox treatment, supplementation, dietary and nutrition advice.
Colonic Hydrotherapy is an extremely useful treatment to aid Candida elimination. This can be added to the regime.